Chocolate is poisonous to dogs, and a result can cause some serious issues to their health and wellbeing, especially if they eat too much of it. But how do you know how much is too much? Chocolate contains a specific chemical called theobromine, and this is the compound that dogs can’t metabolise in the same way humans can, making it toxic. Theobromine comes from the cocoa bean, and as a result, is present in some level in all sorts of chocolate. The amount of theobromine depends on the type of chocolate as well as the quality; baking and dark chocolate have some of the highest amounts, whilst milk chocolate containing slightly less and white chocolate the least amount.
As a result, a dangerously toxic amount will depend on the type of chocolate, the quantity eaten as well as the size and weight of the dog. To help you figure out how serious the amount of chocolate your dog has eaten is, as well as what you should do to help, we have created a simple chocolate toxicity calculator to help measure chocolate poisoning in dogs. You can also find out more information on what is chocolate poisoning in dogs, as well as how you can help, here.
Please note that the content of this chocolate toxicity calculator is only a guide and should not be taken as medical advice or substitute a consultation with your vet. If you are unsure about your dog’s health, please contact your veterinary practice for further information and help.